After turning off your alarm and rolling out of bed, the first thought on your mind is probably breakfast. If that breakfast is going to be part of a long day — and we can assume that it will be — it has to be something filling.
There’s another factor in your search for the perfect breakfast, though, and that’s whether or not it’s a clean, healthy option. Clean eating is a great way to reset your system and get yourself on the right track for an extended period of healthy choices, and it’s certainly tough to make sure that all of your meals fall into that category. If you’re following a clean lifestyle, your first meal must set the tone for the rest of the day.
The only problem? It’s kind of hard to come up with breakfast recipes that are hearty, healthy and tasty on the fly. That’s why we’ve gathered the following six from pioneering bloggers and chefs who have made it their mission to turn the first meal of the day into arguably the best. Bon Appetit!
- Green Egg Skillet Bake Dr. Seuss had one thing right: Green eggs are delicious. Of course, it’s a clean eating recipe, which means that the greens are actual greens. In this case, your skillet would be filled with four cups each of collard greens and spinach, as well as mushrooms, eggs and a zingy dollop of Greek yogurt. The resulting recipe feeds four, making this an ideal headlining dish the next time you host a healthy brunch at your place.
- Coconut Cranberry Protein Bars One breakfast closely associated with healthy living is the protein bar. Unfortunately, what many store-bought versions have in terms of body-bettering nutrition, they lack in flavor.
This homemade version proves that you can have it all — at least as far as protein bars are concerned. Ingredients like almond butter, coconut flakes and dried cranberries lend this treat a rich, natural flavor that’s equally as satisfying. To make the deal even sweeter, the recipe doesn’t require any baking in order to leave you with dense, cake-like bars that you can grab and go.
- Almond Banana Spice Smoothie This recipe’s name doesn’t even hint at the smoothie’s secret, protein-packed ingredient: tofu. Many people are wary of tofu because they believe it to lack nutrients or to pose a health risk for women, but these rumors are patently false. In fact, tofu packs a hearty punch of protein, as well as a good portion of your daily recommended serving of calcium and iron.
The neutrality of tofu’s flavor — and the silken variety’s texture — makes it a great mix-in for a smoothie, too. Just add bananas, almond butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract and you’ll have a blended beverage that will make you a believer.
- Cherry Breakfast Rice Bowls Brown rice is the new oatmeal — at least, as far as this recipe is concerned. Though brown rice is another atypical breakfast ingredient, this recipe gives it a little bit of that early-morning flavor with a dash of cinnamon, orange zest and vanilla extract. If that’s not breakfast-y enough, consider the four teaspoons of maple syrup that lend even more sweetness to the recipe. The cherries on top seal the deal.
- Banana Mango Smoothie Bowl You probably think of smoothies as an on-the-go breakfast option, but this smoothie bowl turns that notion on its ear. If you have a bit of time to sit down and sip your breakfast, then transfer it into a bowl for an even more enjoyable experience.
Obviously, the smoothie itself incorporates the tropical flavors of banana and mango. What goes on top is your choice. You might want to add sliced fruit, seeds or slivered nuts — the possibilities are truly endless.
- Fluffy Paleo Pancakes Every breakfast menu has to include pancakes. These won’t get in the way of your clean-eating goals, despite how hearty and fluffy they are. Rather than incorporating bleached flower, butter and other ingredients that don’t go with the plan, these paleo pancakes are made of almond and tapioca flours.
A bit of applesauce and vanilla extract makes them just as sweet as what you’re used to, which, in turn, will make your choice to eat cleanly even sweeter, too.
With these recipes under your belt, you’ll be able to eat hearty and healthy meals at the start of every day. Enjoy!